Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reality

Reality is..


When a child is given a popsicle stick and a tub of frosting they will scoop out a bunch of frosting, lick the stick, then put the stick back into the frosting they are sharing with many other children.  Gingerbread house making day one was today. Besides this little joke, which really did happen, the kids did great and their houses are off to a wonderful start.  We'll finish them tomorrow, but we had to let our foundation harden overnight.  Nothing like a  little lot of sugar at 8:30am to help the winter break fig-its. 


Reality is...


When the room is silent, something is wrong, someone is in major trouble, or students are making glittery snowmen from Ms. Shupert.  I found these adorable foam snowmen for my students to make from Target.  Students got to build a snowman using all the little pieces and letters in their bag.  They were all so focused on creating that they were completely silent!!  Ahh music to a teacher's ears.


Reality is...


St Cloud student teachers are experiencing something very different than us Urban Blockers.  While I've heard of many St Cloud area student teachers receiving Christmas gifts from their students as our semester is ending, I have students coming up to me in the morning apologizing that his or her mom had no more money so she couldn't get anything to help with the gingerbread houses. I can't help but worry about how much these students are getting to eat this month.  I know for a fact I'm experiencing things here in this school that have changed me forever.  As teachers in the building tell me that if I can teach here I can teach anywhere, I'm slowly understanding why more and more each day.


Reality is...


As I drive back home after school tomorrow, I will have a slightly broken heart (until Jan 9).  Although I want need this winter break, I will miss my students tremendously.  My prayer is that each of them may have a special holiday season filled with laughter and love.  I wish they could each understand how special they are to God and how much He loves them. 


Hope you're having a great warm week...I AM!!

1 comment:

  1. Reality is...

    Your blog is full of truly beautiful reflections. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing self with your beautiful children and your reflections with us! It's such good inspiration as I'm trying to prep my own lessons!

    ReplyDelete