Thursday, November 3, 2011

Success!

This week I started student teaching full time throughout the week, instead of the Monday Thursday gig.  It was only a four day week for the kids because it is the end of the quarter, so the week with the kiddos ended today. I ended up thinking the week went pretty good. There are always some fun stories though...Today was "Thursday fun" because we didn't have Friday. We had a few students that had to sit out because of many poor choices throughout the week.  One of these boys in particular has a very large problem of keeping his body under control.  As he was sitting out watching his peers play, he began to cry sob and get very very angry.  My CT and I were talking to him, trying to help him understand that he feels angry now but that is how we feel when he doesn't listen to us teach.  In the midst of this heated discussion, he tells me, "I don't want to be in this class anymore.  I want to get a new teacher and new class."  My CT went on to dare him to find a new class where he would be given time to play after acting the way he did all week.  All of this was quite the scene let me tell you.  But, he did finish out the rest of the day well.  Was there a breakthrough? Well I guess I'll have to tell you Monday. I kinda doubt it, but I'm keeping an open mind and holding out hope.


The more time I spend with each of these children, the more I learn about them.  Is this a good thing? Not always! But sometimes it makes the job a whole bunch of fun.  We have everything in our class from the EXTREME pouter/crier to the EXTREMELY remorseful child.   Each personality is BIG and UNIQUE. The thing I love though, is that not matter what happened the day before, no matter how much trouble the child got in, each day is a new day.  Each day they walk in the door and tell me they missed me, even though is was only half a day, and express their happiness to be back. They are always excited to inform me of everything that happened in those few moments I wasn't with them. Only my CT and I know what those anxious little victims are in for that day.  The start of each day is for sure my favorite. (Wouldn't you think it would be the end?)


Tomorrow is my payment for every time I bragged to my teachers that I got the day off and they didn't.   Now, I am that teacher (granted my CT informed me we will be leaving at noon at the latest!).  I will go into school at 8am and prepare everything to teach my little bunch of personalities while they sleep in.  I will use all the  ideas that God smashed into my brain to make me a better teacher...and then get a few more ideas God put in my CT's brain.  


Why I love teaching....you NEVER EVER EVER know what will happen in the next 2 minutes (good or bad).  Thank you God for blessing me with this INCREDIBLE gift that I get to do for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment