It's November now, so I figured it was only fair for me to give you a new number...257! I know I can hardly believe it myself. May I remind you I started at 499. We are really close to half of that number. It sure doesn't feel like that could be the case! All will be ready in time though thanks to my wonderful fiancee that gave us the long engagement I was hoping for (and KVSC for planning trivia when they did ;)
So this weekend was the start of hockey once again for Matthew! I love watching him play. I can still remember was he was just a tiny little guy learning how to skate and watching games where it would take half the period for the kids to get to the other end of the rink. It's so much fun to watch the boys check the other team and skate across the ice now in a matter of seconds. The game on Saturday was a tough loss simply because of our own team's goalie. Sunday I couldn't go to the game, but they only lost by a tiny bit. From the first two games of an entire season to come, I can already tell it will be a great season for the boys. Can't wait for the next two games this coming weekend!!!
They only thing I can't stand more than the sound of children trying to erase something with no eraser left....eye rolling. You know how your parents tell you, "Some day you're going to have a kid just like you!" Well unfortunately I have one before I have even had a kid!!! I must have been really bad to have one before I even have kids! The girl is in after school....and boy is she talented!! Every thing I say I get an eye roll. I tell her to stop with the eye rolls and she does it again. Teachers set goals all the time. My newest one. To get the eye rolling to stop, while still letting her know what a treasure she is.
While I'm trying to have patience with students such as that one, my heart is aching with new discoveries all the time. Newest heartache follows. We were talking during reading about bedtime routines (we're reading a book about bedtime). We asked the students what their bedtime routines were. When students were talking about getting their bed ready with all their specials treasures or blankets, one students answered with this, "I get my palette ready." While I think about finishing this post, talking to my man, and then climb into my warm covers and soft bed, I have a sweet boy from my class preparing his hard wood palette to sleep on and simply being thankful he has a bed to call his own. Part of me has to push this to the back of my mind so I don't try to take him home with me, because sadly I know he's not the only one. I can't say his name, for obvious reasons, but I ask that tonight or whenever you read this you pray for this little boy and all the others just like him. And, I ask you thank God for the nice cozy bed you will get to crawl into. Teachers are told not to become too attached...how do we not? I can't go to school without my heart, it's impossible.
Sorry to end on a such a sad note, but this is life and I think it's good for us to get hit with reality every now and again. As for my friends who read this that aren't in the inner city, this heartache is what I experience every day! But, one has to find joy and thankfulness for these sweet children ever entering the world!!
First observation tomorrow!!! I'm sure you'll hear about it soon!
I totally agree Amanda. Sometimes I find myself so saddened by and for students that it's hard to know what to do. But yes, prayer is definitely a must.
ReplyDeleteAmy E.