First and Last
The words "first" and "last" can make or break it in a first grade classroom. Being first in line is way better than any amount of ice cream or sugar-filled cupcake could have to offer, while being last in line is not just the end of the world but the end that has come with a large explosion. Being the first one done shows "heck yes I'm the smartest one here and beat all of you no matter what answers I got," while being the last one done shows "I'm lazy or I have no clue what to do and I know if I sit here long enough one of my friends will come tell me the answers." Being the first to put one's hand up says, "I the fastest at putting my hand up whether I have an answer in my head ready or not," while being the last (or not at all) one to put your hand up says, "I have not a clue, but look cool because I have my hand up like everyone else."
This is my life in the classroom and out right now. My world is FILLED with firsts and lasts. It is the last time I will...
- Pack my suitcase and drive alone back up to the cities after a wonderful weekend with family and friends.
- Live in a different place than my husband-to-be. (As far as I know)
- Go to college (I'm not counting a graduate degree eventually in my future)
- week of being a student teacher
With all of these lasts comes a list full of firsts. It is the first time I will...
- Be done with a year of school and not have to go back in the fall.
- Graduate from college
- not really know what is next
I get my students this week. I get how firsts and lasts can make it or break it. Thankfully there is a lot of me making it this week. In just 5 sweet days I'll be walking across a very big stage in front of many many people and saying "I DID IT" to myself with each step. Did I feel like I would get to this point during each and every math final...HECK NO! But here I am. As scary as it is, it is also exciting. As my students and I have talked about this week, it's a celebration of a lot of hard word. I'm so thankful for the opportunity of college that was given to me. So, what would one see if they walk into room #103 this week? Many happy faces (no tears) and many fun things as we celebrate 4 years of hard work...and many of my parents' dollars. :) THANKS MOM AND DAD!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment