Today was my first "last day of school" as a teacher. The day brought many emotions and I was left thinking about the picture of what I imagined it would be like as a teacher.
Last day of school picture: Students arrive happy and bubbly bringing in a card or sometimes even gift for the teacher probably dressed in a fun summer end-of-the-year outfit that their mom no doubt took a million pictures of. Students and teacher share memories of the school year and play some of their favorite games. An end of the year party will be thrown with no doubt treats. As students leave at the end of the day, they hold their teacher in a long hug and say I'll miss you and I'll come back and visit you next year.
The picture of my day: Student arrive and many are dressed inappropriately and not in uniform because I guess the rules don't apply the last day. While working on puzzles as morning work instead of the normal morning work, students begin discussing inappropriate behavior that happened on the bus last night. The day is filled with complaints. Why do we have to listen to you read a story? Do I have to color this picture? As we celebrate our end of the year party by having sundaes (complete with sprinkles and whipped cream) and watching "Up" no thank you's are said but the room is quiet of complaints for the time being. After finishing our treats, the movie is quickly forgotten and inappropriate discussions begin again. The end of the day is spent passing out a gift bought for each by myself (a chapter book, crayons, pencils, and erasers). A student says, "This is it? A book? That's the best you could do?" I told the student I thought this was disrespectful. "Take it then" he said and proceeded to give the book back. As students get on the bus some give a quick hug, some give a high five, and some simply walk by. The day is done. The year is done.
The picture has changed. No hand made cards, no grateful hearts, no long felt hugs. All I pray is that they have learned more than perhaps what was shown today. I hope they don't hate me as many times as they said. I hope I made a difference.
I wish people could understand how a teacher can mean so many different things. This was quite the first year. I have never heard so many people say they have never seen or heard of a harder school. As hard as it was, I would never take it back because I KNOW I am better for it. I hope my bunch at my new school next year are ready...this teacher is ready to try it all over again!
No comments:
Post a Comment