Lauren, Sara and her sweet family, and of course...my Mama
The plan was formed quickly. My best friend, Lauren, was home and worried that it might be another year before seeing her I found a weekend that would work for us both. The date was set...June 29. We would drive after I got out of work on Friday and come back Sunday night so I didn't miss any work. This is the story of what actually happened...
Friday my boss lets me know she can get me out of work at 1:30...much to my surprise. I thought
THE STARS ARE ALL ALIGNING!! COULD IT BE? As I got picked up by the hubby I quickly found out that the Blackhawks (Chicago hockey team that just won the Stanley Cup) celebration parade just ended as well. 2.5 million people + work people + our little car = an 8 hour drive
 |
| Our lovely view for a crawling 1 1/2 hours |
Saturday though things started looking up. I met Lauren at my parents' house for spiedies! We spent a lovely lunch together and quickly caught up. It's like we never were apart once we get talking. After lunch, my mom and I spent some birthday money I still had. We also enjoyed exploring the "shopkick" app which I highly recommend btw! After some shopping we grabbed the new Caribou summer drink and met up with Sara for some much needed pedicures!
Since our short trip left no time to stop, mom then dropped me off at Outback so I could spend some time celebrating the 28 years of marriage that led to my husband with the in-laws. We had a lovely dinner! Then, Patrick and I headed over to Lauren's for a bonfire! It was a perfect night for it. We enjoyed smores, wine, beer, and of course snicker salad! What a day! I honestly can't believe I fit all that in over the course of just one day.
After talking with Sara during our pedicures, we agreed that taking Sunday to pour into our friendships was an excellent idea. We met up at a park with our lunches and their children in tow and had more fun than I could have asked for. Chris and Sara have done an amazing job raising two beautiful children and we were so blessed to have the chance to play with them.
 |
| We played hide and go seek almost the whole time. Lakin would giggle so hard when one of us would find her. |
 |
| These bridges were one of Lakin's favorite things to run across and jump on. Patrick jumped on with her to join in. |
 |
| Little Bennett is growing so much compared to when we saw him right after he was born! His favorite trick is "Bennett it SOO big" |
 |
| This boy can make food disappear like nobody's business! |
 |
| Lakin reached in to grab a grape and came up with this...she put in on her plate and was ready to dive in until all those silly adults suggested it might be too many! |
 |
| Patrick and Ben sharing some giggles. You can't see them in this picture, but his two front teeth are to die for! |
 |
| Lakin scooped up the opportunity to swing with Patrick. After getting off Patrick's swing she said, "Now I want to swing with Matthew." Girl know how to bat those eyes! |
After saying some pretty hard goodbyes after so much fun, we hopped in the car and made our way back to Chicago. This time...the trip only took less than 6 hours! Oh Chicago traffic...you will never be my friend.
I would be lying if I wasn't concerned this trip would happen too fast and I would get to do even half of what I would want. But, that was hardly the case. Friends and family will always be worth the terrible 8 hour drive and you sure can pack a lot of fun into a few short hours.
Being sad that we're back home, I'm trying to look forward to our next event. We're going to see the Fourth of July fireworks at Navy Pier even though we won't get home till super late and I have to work the next day. Oh well, I figure that we can't pass up these beautiful opportunities we will never have again and it WILL be worth it...I hope ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment